Board: Open.
BAN: Max 5 Scene Requests per time per 24 HOURS! | Mark your topics [FiLLED] after | No Non-Scene Audio Requests
Harassment of any kind not tolerated on the forum. Instant ban.

Scene only

Track ID's, abuse, or anything else on your minds :)
Perplexer
50 Posts
50 Posts

Scene only

Post by Perplexer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm just wondering ... the rules say SCENE AUDIO only ... then why are IDF releases requested and uploaded so often? IDF is not a scene group. They're an IRC XDCC group. They don't follow scene rules. They just use the folder/file naming that makes their releases appear like scene ones. Is that group an allowed exception or something ?

aGGyunit
VIP
VIP
United States of America

Re: Scene only

Post by aGGyunit » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:27 am

Interesting,

have a server and channel name? Or they no longer active?

martins1982
VIP
VIP
Haiti

Post by martins1982 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:22 pm

Perplexer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:39 pm
I'm just wondering ... the rules say SCENE AUDIO only ... then why are IDF releases requested and uploaded so often? IDF is not a scene group. They're an IRC XDCC group. They don't follow scene rules. They just use the folder/file naming that makes their releases appear like scene ones. Is that group an allowed exception or something ?

Hello,

If "iDF" is not a scene group why you see a lot os releases in pre databases ?

Maybe some requests is not from the real group, but "iDF" it's definitely a legit group.

Perplexer
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Perplexer » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:41 pm

iDF is not a scene group. I don't know what you consider as "legit" but they're not scene (they don't PRE on any scene top site). predb.me is a rather limited public database and somebody is obviously adding iDF releases to it. Real scene DBs consider iDF a P2P (public) group and don't catalog their releases. Like I said, their releases do not even follow official MP3 release rules most of the time.

martins1982
VIP
VIP
Haiti

Post by martins1982 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Perplexer wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:41 pm
iDF is not a scene group. I don't know what you consider as "legit" but they're not scene (they don't PRE on any scene top site). predb.me is a rather limited public database and somebody is obviously adding iDF releases to it. Real scene DBs consider iDF a P2P (public) group and don't catalog their releases. Like I said, their releases do not even follow official MP3 release rules most of the time.
I find iDF releases in [External Link Removed for Guests]
But probably you are right, in [External Link Removed for Guests] i can't find any release.

Sometimes it is very difficult to distinguish a real scene release from a fake one.
You have any tips to help people?

Thank You.

Perplexer
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Perplexer » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:31 pm

I think iDF is the major one. There may be smaller ones which occasionally apear and quickly disappear, like -RNM and -funteek (these two just stole releases from real scene groups and re-tagged them). I also remember -ZgbK which is a "personal" tag used by a member I saw here on the forum. Some of these actually do sometimes find their way into scene DBs and sites and then have to be purged which is always funny. :D I don't know any others off the top of my head at the moment. I don't really use public databases.

But I think there are not many non-scene groups so you can just keep a list of the few known ones and that's mostly enough. Without access to scene DB I don't know how you can be sure, except if you ask someone or inspect the release and compare it to scene rules.

For example, if you see a 320 kbps CD/vinyl release, you know it's non-scene, because scene allows only VBR physical rips. Or a WEB release without direct web-shop URL or only a link to Discogs (for example in iDF releases), that's also a sign it's non-scene, etc.

But I guess for personal collectors / listeners non-scene releases are just fine. They are only a problem for pure scene-collectors / archivers.

martins1982
VIP
VIP
Haiti

Post by martins1982 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for the explanation.
You know anything about pivate predb with registration open ?
I only use public predb like:

[External Link Removed for Guests]

Sometimes i find releases from a real group but without hits in a predb.

For eg: Xutos_And_Pontapes-Vida_Malvada-2CD-PT-1998-phEAR_INT

Maybe is a bad eg because is a internal release but i think you understand.
Of course everything is simpler when releases are nuked.

Perplexer
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Perplexer » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:14 pm

I see what you mean yes. I do see it in one DB. There are some releases like that. Mostly old ones and internal ones. I don't think you will find any "open registrations" for a scene DB though. :-) I don't know what to tell you ... it sucks, I know.

I'd like to know it the other way around ... are there any non-scene DBs with obscure releases? For example I saw one filled on this forum:
Lady_Bee_-_Strictly_For_That_Nigga-TAPE-1994-GENERiC

Where does that come from ? :D

martins1982
VIP
VIP
Haiti

Post by martins1982 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Perplexer wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:14 pm
I see what you mean yes. I do see it in one DB. There are some releases like that. Mostly old ones and internal ones. I don't think you will find any "open registrations" for a scene DB though. :-) I don't know what to tell you ... it sucks, I know.

I'd like to know it the other way around ... are there any non-scene DBs with obscure releases? For example I saw one filled on this forum:
Lady_Bee_-_Strictly_For_That_Nigga-TAPE-1994-GENERiC

Where does that come from ? :D

You have "Hybrid predb" like xrel.to

If you want P2P releases choose P2P releases button.
Unfortunately p2p is very disorganized and you will probably find many releases without the same system of db from the scene.
Good places to find P2P or Scene:

Newsgroups, IRC, DC private hubs especially for old stuff.

omarijamarija
50 Posts
50 Posts
Czech Republic

Post by omarijamarija » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:41 am

Perplexer wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:31 pm
I think iDF is the major one. There may be smaller ones which occasionally apear and quickly disappear, like -RNM and -funteek (these two just stole releases from real scene groups and re-tagged them). I also remember -ZgbK which is a "personal" tag used by a member I saw here on the forum. Some of these actually do sometimes find their way into scene DBs and sites and then have to be purged which is always funny. :D I don't know any others off the top of my head at the moment. I don't really use public databases.

But I think there are not many non-scene groups so you can just keep a list of the few known ones and that's mostly enough. Without access to scene DB I don't know how you can be sure, except if you ask someone or inspect the release and compare it to scene rules.

For example, if you see a 320 kbps CD/vinyl release, you know it's non-scene, because scene allows only VBR physical rips. Or a WEB release without direct web-shop URL or only a link to Discogs (for example in iDF releases), that's also a sign it's non-scene, etc.

But I guess for personal collectors / listeners non-scene releases are just fine. They are only a problem for pure scene-collectors / archivers.
Damn, I always mix up iDF and iDC and avoid the wrong one when collecting releases :D
Is Zagłębiak really somewhere here? I remember that under one of the requests of his rip me explaining that ZgbK is not a scene grp. Apparently, admin of the site acknowledged that in the reply. So I guess it's allowed to request scene-like releases from time to time.

As for recognizing scene/non-scene releases in tough cases.
Other than encoder config not following scene groups at the time of release, the good way to tell whether a release is coming from the scene or not is to look at nfo width. Some IRC groups make their NFO arts wider than allowed 80 characters. Others, following the 80-chars-width convention sometimes put an implicit info that they're not affiliated with scene in any way.

It is a shame predb.ovh is so polluted with p2p stuff, because this is the most responsive predb I ever worked with (after layer13 went out of business). I utilize their REST API a lot in my scripts, although I would prefer to have my own database. I have some chunks in different formats from various leaks, dumps etc. waiting on my disk for me to merge them into one big-ass database, but I don't really have enough time to do it :lol: