Board: Open.
BAN: Max 5 Scene Requests per time per 24 HOURS! | Mark your topics [FiLLED] after | No Non-Scene Audio Requests
Harassment of any kind not tolerated on the forum. Instant ban.

scene release theory

Track ID's, abuse, or anything else on your minds :)
aGGyunit
VIP
VIP
United States of America

Re: scene release theory

Post by aGGyunit » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Interesting, very nice.

Hard part will be obtaining the "same" source for older releases :)
Good start tho!

avarage
100 Posts
100 Posts
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by avarage » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:38 am

you will never (or very rarely) get crc matching files.

Talim_
VIP
VIP
Korea North

Post by Talim_ » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:51 am

Just made another discovery. 2011 FLACS have been a huge problem for me for awhile, not easy to track down. Today I tried downloading some rips from random users on Soulseek. I was able to recreate Kanye_West-808s_And_Heartbreak-CD-FLAC-2008-PERFECT using a rip that had a log included, it was done in 2008! I remember seeing some of PERFECT's FLACs that included log files on what.cd before and they scored a 100% on the log checker. Lil_Wayne-I_Am_Not_A_Human_Being-CD-FLAC-2010-PERFECT as well with a log that doesn't even come from EAC, it's from X Lossless Decoder and done in 2010. This is good news because it means as long as a rip is good and it's the same disc we should be able to recreate scene FLAC releases from entirely different rips.

Edit: bad CRC on track 3 of the Lil Wayne. Not bad for a rip from an entirely different disc, drive, software, and operating system. Much easier to find one missing track than an entire missing album that's only available from soulseek hoarders with locked shares and people asking for money.

aGGyunit
VIP
VIP
United States of America

Post by aGGyunit » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:08 am

Good find!
Talim_ wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:51 am
from soulseek hoarders with locked shares and people asking for money.
Yep, I loathe them too...

I have been working on finding/recreating the missing track 09-kashiwa_daisuke-reflex.mp3 for Kashiwa_Daisuke-Re-Red-(VBR042)-WEB-2017-CRN_WEB
I downloaded MP3s from various sources and have not been able to find the correct file.
I tried turning FLAC files into mp3 but I'm either doing something wrong or using the wrong settings cause the files never match.
Source should be bandcamp.... but you need to buy the entire album... not just a single track so that's not an option right now.
Unsure if CRN_WEB bought it in MP3 from there or they converted the FLAC to MP3..

MP3Tag says the album is encoded by lame 3.99r ... I tried various lame 3.99.5 encoders but failed to make a matching MP3.
Any special settings I need to try or any idea?

Would love to complete this album as I can't find any source to download it from in full.

Perplexer
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Perplexer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:05 pm

Jesus, you people need to stop wasting time re-creating old lost scene releases. Even if you do find the actual CD to rip, you need the right encoder and ID3-tag tool, just to name two. There's too many variables. You will never get the result to pass SFV check. These attempts also lead to fakery. Leave it alone and let time find those releases.

Here's the Kashiva track for you aGGyunit:
[External Link Removed for Guests]

Talim_
VIP
VIP
Korea North

Post by Talim_ » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:36 am

Perplexer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:05 pm
Even if you do find the actual CD to rip, you need the right encoder and ID3-tag tool, just to name two.
The id3 tags aren't really an issue. If there's a srr file to work with as long as you have an mp3 encoded exactly as the original was it will stick those in for you. If not you can look at another mp3 released by the same group in that time period in a hex editor. I did this recently with one where I only had a sfv file and a retagged mp3 to work with. My recent finds with those FLAC releases gives me more hope that this is a possibility. I'm not going to be spending way too much time on it until I gain more knowledge though.

aGGyunit
VIP
VIP
United States of America

Post by aGGyunit » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:20 am

Perplexer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:05 pm
Jesus, you people need to stop wasting time re-creating old lost scene releases.
You will never get the result to pass SFV check.
These attempts also lead to fakery. Leave it alone and let time find those releases.
Thx for the track.

Re-creating the files is fine as long as they pass sfv/srr ... then they are identical to how they were released.
Yes it is not an easy task .. but sometimes the last resort in getting a release.
Like Talim said, id3 tags are not an issue if there's an SRR file available. (It's how you fix the 0daymusic retagged mess).

Nothing is being faked ... CRC correct, SFV passes, SRR passes = good file.

This all started as some theory-crafting ... and ended with some proof that it is possible :)

Perplexer
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Perplexer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:34 am

I guess we're all talking about a slightly different thing. I meant recreating actually lost (currently non-existent) old scene releases. Actually if they are lost, you very likely don't even have a SFV, unless you have access to a scene DB. But if you do, the SFV and NFO is all you have. There are no SRR files for those releases. And even if you have 2 tracks of a CD rip release and missing just one, the chances are pretty slim that you would be successful in recreating that release, even if you found an actual physical CD to rip. Not unless you're really really lucky. Vinyl rips are of course out of the question.

The releases you're talking about with SRR files created for them are actually not considered "lost" anymore (well, depending on who you are). These releases are already found and are present in collector/scene archives. It makes more sense to just request those releases rather than waste time trying to re-create them. But if it's just a rename or ID3-tag strip and if there is a SRR then sure, might as well try that.

The fakery thing I mentioned happens when people try to recreate those releases but are unsuccessful. They feel like they're close enough and they just call it "done" and they re-create the SFV. It's quite tempting. I've seen my share of those when rebuilding archives and filling in genuine releases.

I'm trying to re-create a release right now. I have what I believe to be ID3-tag stripped files, I have a reference release from the same ripper from the same PRE date, but after all the tag and HEX editing, I just can't get it to pass SFV for the life of me. :-)

Talim_
VIP
VIP
Korea North

Post by Talim_ » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Perplexer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:34 am
I'm trying to re-create a release right now. I have what I believe to be ID3-tag stripped files, I have a reference release from the same ripper from the same PRE date, but after all the tag and HEX editing, I just can't get it to pass SFV for the life of me. :-)
There could be some other issue. The padding could be shifted around or it could be a bitflip of some kind. I got ahold of one I was trying to fix for a long time and compared it after stripping the tags on both. Turns out it had a tiny bit of corruption somewhere in the file and would be impossible to fix without knowing about it. I don't have access to the kinds of collections you are talking about for the older stuff. It would be nice to have it but it kinda ruins the scavenger hunt aspect of it for me. I have fun tracking this stuff down from different sources. Also a lot of requests I've been filling go unfilled for a very long time until I eventually find a single missing mp3 or something like that. People with that kind of access aren't always helping people on sites like this out. But some of what I've been getting does come from them passing it on to me. I rely on that as little as possible though.

snoopdo2g
70 Posts
70 Posts
Jamaica

Post by snoopdo2g » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:31 am

Btw there is nice old tool if anyone needs : MorGoTH's MP3Releaser [External Link Removed for Guests]